Wednesday, March 13, 2019

1992 Topps #935 Keith Comstock


Keith Comstock played in the Major Leagues from 1986-1991. He appeared first in 1986 with the Minnesota Twins, spent 1987 with the San Francisco Giants and San Diego Padres, 1988 with the Padres, before finishing up his career in 1990 and 1991 with the Seattle Mariners. 

He is only appeared on 2 Topps cards, his first being in the 1988 Topps set, and his last being in 1991. He is missing cards from the 1985, 1989, 1990, and 1992 Topps sets, with this card crossing off his sunset 1992 one. 

Keith is kind of a baseball card legend, as he is featured on 2 error cards (in his only 2 Topps cards ever made), and 1 goofy photo in a minor league issue.
His first error card was in the 1988 Topps set. It features the Padres name at the top of the card in white instead of blue. Here is the error card and the corrected one.
1988 Topps #778 Keith Comstock Front1988 Topps #778 Keith Comstock Front
His 1991 Topps card comes with a correct Mariners version, and an error listing him with the Chicago Cubs. Here is the error and corrected version.
1991 Topps #337 Keith Comstock Front1991 Topps #337 Keith Comstock Front

This is the minor league card I was talking about.
1989 ProCards #14 Keith Comstock Front
Ouch. 
In spite of all of these crazy cards, I always thought his 1991 Donruss card was weird. When I would go to my endocrynologist as a kid, every time they had to draw my blood in the lab, I wouldn't really care, because they would give me a 3-card '91 Donruss pack afterwards. I pulled the Comstock card out of one of the packs, and I just thought it was crazy how it looked like there were bumps on Comstock's glove just like a basketball instead of being smooth like all of the other gloves I had seen on cards. Take a look for yourself.
1991 Donruss #246 Keith Comstock Front
If all of those crazy facts weren't enough, while researching for the back of the customs '92 TOpps I made, I discovered that Keith played an inning in Right Field for the Giants in 1987. Add that to the many interesting things I have discovered while researching things for the 1992 Topps set.

I have finished the 1984 Topps set, am a team or two away from finishing the checklist for the 1981 Topps set, and am making progress on making cards in the '93 Topps set. With all that being done, I am thinking about adding another thing to my plate by creating a Twitter account, mainly for all of the Topps cards that never were, not just the 1992 set. I just don't want to mess up if I do create the account and do everything professionally and not appear like a noob. So, a few questions...
First, what should I post? A random card? Groups of cards? A card of the day? What would attract people to follow my account?
Second, I notice there are a number of baseball players who I have made customs of that own Twitter accounts. Should I try to add them as followers first, and them post customs of them and tag them? Should I just post, and see if I can get the players as followers if these customs spread by word of mouth?
Third, should I add all of the MLB team accounts? Would Topps kill me if I added them and they saw that I was making customs using their designs?
I'm probably forgetting a few other questions, but these were the main ones. I don't even know if anyone would want to follow a Topps Cards that Never Were Twitter page, but if there is enough interest, I could create one. #ToppsCardsthatNeverWere.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment