Friday, February 27, 2015

Fronts or backs?

I'll be the first to admit that it is more fun making the front of customs than it is making the backs. That's probably why most people only make the fronts. I decided in my custom 1992 Topps set that I would make backs for the cards just so if I ever do finish the set, that I could print the cards and put them in binders and you wouldn't be able to tell that they weren't from the 1992 Topps set. And I guess I'm a little OCD and it would just bug me that a card didn't have a back to it...

With that being said, I have currently done 29 cards (more if you inculde some of the checklists/coaches/prospect cards) front and back. I recently finished making blank templates for the fronts and backs of all 26 teams that year, as well as a Draft Pick and checklist template. I might even have a prospect one somewhere as well. I decided that it would be fun to work on nothing but fronts of cards for a while. I don't know how long I'll do so. Maybe if it goes quick enough, I will finish the whole set. I do know it's been a little harder than I thought it would. Most of the players don't have that many photos of them during their careers or from the 1991 season. For them, I have to use photos from other baseball cards (which, unfortunately, I was hoping not to have to do). A few cards, I have had to paste logos on blank caps and do a lot of uniform and background editing. Some I will probably have to colorize a photo on, and after looking at some GIMP tutorials, that will take a good amount of time, probably a few hours. I tend to treat everything like a race, and it's hard for me to enjoy the process, I like seeing the outcome, so we will see how it goes.

For now, I wanted to show you the fronts that I have done so far, and kind of give you a taste of how the set looks like as of now.



















Those are cards #822-840. Hopefully you saw somebody you remember or feel should've got a card in the '92 Topps set.

1 final thing, I probably won't post them on here, but if you would like me to send you any of the blank templates I have made, leave me a comment or email me at karensjer at gmail dot com. Thanks for checking out my blog.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment