Thursday, October 13, 2016

1992 Topps #883 Mike Blowers



Mike Blowers played 11 seasons in the Majors. He spent his first 3 seasons with the Yankees from 1989-1991. From there, he spent 1992-1995 with the Mariners. He played 1996 with the Dodgers, and was back with the Mariners in 1997. He played with the Athletics in 1998, and finished out his career in 1999, spending it in Japan, and then coming back to the Mariners.

Mike got his first Topps card in the 1990 Traded set. He appeared in the 1991 regular set, then was left off of the 1992 and 1993 sets. He got into the 1994-1997 sets, was left out of the 1998 set, and got his final Topps card in the '99 set. He is missing cards from the 1992-1993, 1998, and 2000 Topps sets. This 1992 Topps custom leave Mike with 3 cards needed to complete his career Topps run.

This card actually gave me a difficult situation. Mike was traded to the Mariners on May 17, 1991, which would've been plenty of time to get a picture of Mike in a M's uniform. The only problem is that Mike never played with the Mariners in 1991, but with their AAA club in Calgary. I decided to leave Mike's photo as a Yankee photo, but to designate that he was traded (ala O-Pee-Chee). Here is a version I made without the traded designation.
While researching Wikipedia for info about Blowers' career, I found what looked like a fans' website devoted to Blowers listed as an external link. When I clicked the link, it sent me to some Japanese? website. When I translated it, it turned out to be a website about hair loss or something. I seem to be finding crazier and crazier things online while researching players in my project. 

I didn't get to work on as many customs as I wanted to yesterday night, but I am so close to finishing the 2000 Topps templates. Maybe by next week. I think I'll also try to finally finish that 1992 Topps Scott Brosius card to finally finish the '92 set. I think sub-consciously I have been putting the card off because Brosuis was one of those pesky Yankees in the '90's, which were the years when my Yankee-hating came to be.  Might as well finish the set though.  Thanks for checking out my latest custom.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment