Monday, August 25, 2014

1992 Topps Gene Larkin World Series Highlights




I decided to add this card a little early, since it is next card in my "Topps Cards that never Were" blog. If you haven't checked it out, I would love for you to. Basically, I am making cards that I feel Topps should've put in some of their sets. Many of the cards are final cards of Hall of Fame and superstar players that Topps never made, some are rookie cards that Topps could've put in their Traded sets, others are highlights or oddball cards that would've added some spark to classic Topps sets. And, like my 1992 Topps set, all of the cards have backs. I am doing the cards in series of 25, and thinking if I get enough interest, maybe selling the cards individually or in sets.
This Gene Larkin 1992 World Series Highlights card will be card #18 in Series 1. I can't believe that none of the major baseball card makers gave Gene a World Series highlight card in 1992. He got the World Series winning hit in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series! That at least deserves a highlight subset card, if not, an insert. Jack Morris didn't get a card either, and I haven't done the research, but I don't think any major card makers had World Series cards, save for the Stadium Club Dome set (which was released in 1993). In my additions to the 1992 Topps set, I have this card, World Series cards of Jack Morris, Kirby Puckett, Mark Lemke, Jerry Willard, cards of the ALCS and NLCS MVPs, card for every No-Hitter, Otis Nixon's 6 Stolen Base game, cards of every coach, and a few extra Draft Picks. Basically, the kinds of cards I wish Topps would put in their sets every year, along with everyone who played a game. I can always hope for them to listen next year......

No comments:

Post a Comment