Thursday, July 28, 2016

1992 Topps #867 Nikco Riesgo


Nikco Riesgo played 1 season in the Majors, getting called up to the Expos in 1991. He also was a replacement player in 1995 Spring Training, I believe with the Expos, but don't quote me on it. The records for replacement players are few and far between, but I have a list on my laptop of players I've found and who they played for, so once I get home, I'll check it and update this post.

Nikco only appeared on 2 major brand cards, a 1991 Bowman card and a 1992 Topps Debut card. He missed out on a regular 1992 Topps card, and I will also be making a 1994 Topps Traded Update card for his 1995 spring training time as a replacement.  This card posed me with a difficult question.  It turns out Nikco was sent to the Phillies in May 1991 (he was drafted by the Expos from the Phillies in December 1990). This happened after he appeared in his 4 games with the Expos. I chose not to put a 'now with Phillies' caption or update his acquisition by them since he only made it to the Majors with Montreal. It is just an interesting note that you would never know.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. Interesting what you find out.. I didn't know this guy played for the Expos.. Mind you, back then it was more Jays on tv than Expos up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much I have found out while researching players for the custom set. I found out many surprising things, and I will try to pass everything on in the posts. There are about 550 cards that I have added to the set, so there will be plenty of more fun bits of info to pass along before I get to the last card.

      Delete