Tuesday, July 5, 2016

1992 Topps Jeff Plympton


Jeff Plympton played 1 season in the Majors, making it up to the Boston Red Sox in 1991. I was only 8 in 1991, so I didn't follow baseball as closely as I do now, but I would assume that it was a big deal when he got called up, seeing as he was a hometown guy from Massachusetts.

Jeff didn't appear in the 1992 Topps set, but was in the 1992 Topps Debut and 1992 Stadium Club set. As far as non-Topps brands in 1992, he got in the Score and Upper Deck sets in 1992.

From the stats on the back of the card, it seems like Jeff could've been a serviceable reliever, if not closer, for the Red Sox, but after 1991 his ERA jumped, and he played his last season in the minors in 1993. I really wish the internet had become popular in the '80's. There are many players who I would love to know more info about but I just can't find much because they played in the early '90's or before. Nowadays, you can find out if a player called it quits because of an injury, but before the internet was popular, you couldn't. We will never know with Plympton, although I believe he is a good ttm signer, so he may respond to questions if asked.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment