Monday, July 18, 2022

1992 Topps #972 Otis Nixon Season Highlight

 Todays missing Topps card is #972 Otis Nixon Season Highlight. 

First off, I see now that I need to redo this card. Just looking at the 2 uniforms, and I can almost tell that the photo was from 1997 or so, not 1991. Additionally, Nixon had his noteworthy game against the Expos, not the Phillies. I believe that a highlight card should show a photo of the highlight, not some random one. 
With that being said, Otis Nixon tied an MLB record by stealing 6 bases in a game. Expos catcher Mike Fitzgerald was the victim, but it turned out good for them, as they beat the Braves 7-6. Back when I was trying to get the 1992 Topps set signed, I drove up to Disney’s Wild World of Sports in Orlando and got Nixon to sign his card. I wish I would’ve had a copy of this one to show him and ask him about his 6 steal game. 
I remember being in 3rd grade in 1992, just a year after the Braves lost to the Twins in the World Series and Nixon had his 6 SB game. Nixon was hot and I wanted to get a card of him pretty bad. I went to summer camp for a week, and on the way up, I blew some of my spending money on some 1992 Topps rack packs. A camper I met that week asked me if I pulled the Otis Nixon, and I didn’t. It was still a few years after that when I finally got an Otis Nixon, either a 1990 or 1991 Donruss card of him as an Expo. Finally got a card of him as a Brave maybe a year or two after that, and it would’ve either been his 1994 Topps card or a 1995 Topps League Leader insert. At some point, I finally got the ‘92 Topps, and got it signed sometime between 2004 and 2009. If only I had known how common those ‘90’s cards actually were and knew about card shows and shops in the 3rd grade. I would’ve just picked up a copy for a quarter or two. Of course then I wouldn’t have been able to bust so many packs, so I think having to go through so many packs to find one was a good thing. 
The custom highlight card was one of many that were missing from the 1992 Topps set. Topps covered a few record breakers, but missed out on Nixon, a number of no-hitters, and all of the postseason highlights. In the next 20 or so cards, I’ll hit a number of those themes, so stay tuned. 
Thanks for checking out my latest post. 
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment