Thursday, July 21, 2022

1992 Topps #975 Gene Larkin World Series Highlights

 Today's missing Topps card is #975 Gene Larkin World Series Highlights

I will be the first to admit that I did a number of things wrong on this card. I probably chose a bad font for the top part on the front. I should've turned the text on the back at an angle. While I will admit that, what I will also point out was that this was one of my first 10 or so customs cards that I've ever made, and if I were to remake the card, it would probably blow this one out of the water. And if you consider the fact that this is your first World Series highlight card since the 1981 set, and that Topps wouldn't pick up the subset again until the 1998 set, you're welcome. 
This card highlights the thrilling Game 7 of the cat and mouse 1991 World Series, where John Smoltz and Jack Morris battled for 9 innings throwing 0's on the scoreboard. If not for a trick decoy play by future Yankee schmuck Chuck Knoblauch, the Braves would've probably held a 1-0 lead and turned it over to either Juan Berenguer or Alejandro Pena for the 9th to get the save. I'm kind of glad 'the Blockhead' got the yips towards the end of his Yankee$ career and cost them some wins. While I am a Rays and Tigers fan at heart, back in the '90's before the Rays had a team, I followed the Braves pretty close from 1991-1998 or so. That Twins series and all of the crap the Yankees got with their insane spending left a hurt on many a Braves team in that decade. Back to the '91 Series, with a 0-0 tie in the bottom of the 10th, Dan Gladden hit a double, advanced to 3rd on a sacrifice, and the bases got loaded after 2 intentional walks. With 1 out, pinch-hitter Gene Larkin came in to hit, and hit a drive to deep left center to win the game and the World Series. 
Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment