Wednesday, March 16, 2016

1992 Topps Matt Young



Today's card is the first card that I "borrowed" from the 1992 O-Pee-Chee set. In 1992, the OPC set mirrored the 1992 Topps set except for the fact that the All-Star cards and a few select subsets were replaced with a Gary Carter tribute subset as well as a few cards of players who were left out of the '92 Topps set. Matt Young was one of those players. I chose to include the OPC cards because unlike players who got a card in the '92 Topps Traded set, the OPC guys didn't have a card with a Topps logo on it. I also did it with the 6 ToppsGold checklist replacement cards as well.

Matt Young had appeared in a few Topps sets over the years but was left off of the '92 set even though he appeared in 19 games. He would be left off of the 1993 set as well, even though he pitched a no hitter (allowing 2 runs and losing) in 1992. He accomplished just about all of the things you would hope to accomplish as an individual, appearing in the All-Star game, pitching the no-hitter, striking out 4 batters in an inning, and playing for a World Championship team. I was happy to add his autograph to my collection back when I was doing ttm signatures.

I basically just added the Topps logo to the front. On the back I made the background by the stats transparent enough that I could put the Topps logo behind it, added text where it was needed, put the Topps logo under the number and changed the number. Otherwise, it looks like the original OPC card. I think it looks like it belongs in the '92 Topps set though and wish Topps would've at least gave the OPC guys and ToppsGold checklist replacements a regular card. Thanks for checking out my latest card.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment