Tuesday, February 23, 2016

1992 Topps Carmelo Castillo



PLAYER BIO: Carmelo (Carmen) Castillo, Twins

YEARS IN MAJORS: 1982-1991

LAST TOPPS SET HE APPEARED IN: 1991

APPEARANCES IN FUTURE TOPPS SETS: None

REASON LEFT OFF OF THE 1992 TOPPS SET: He only appeared in 9 games in 1991, so it's pretty clear to see why TOPPS didn't include him in the '92 set.

NOTES:  This would've been Castillo's sunset card, although he did spend some time in Japan after MLB. This card was a little tricky for me once I started making the back. I went to Baseball-Reference like I usually do to get the stats for the back, and I typed in 'Carmen Castillo' and the search didn't find anything. I typed it in on Google, and it found me tons of cards, but then I noticed that some of his cards were listed under 'Carmelo Castillo'. I typed that into BB-Ref and that gave me what I wanted. I guess he was known by both names. Most of his Topps cards before 1990 have him listed as Carmen.  His '90 and '91 cards have him listed as Carmelo. I had originally had the front of the card with his name listed as Carmen, but I changed it to Carmelo so it would be like his final 2 Topps cards. I have both at the top of the post.
One final note, Castillo won a title with the Twins in '91, and not many '91 Twins are missing from the set surprisingly.

Thanks for checking out my latest card.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment