Friday, February 5, 2016

1992 Topps Tarrik Brock Draft Pick


Today's card marks the first draft pick card in my custom 1992 Topps set. The Detroit Tigers had a draft pick card of Trevor Miller, but missed out on draft pick cards of top prospects Justin Thompson and Brock. I added Thompson and Brock in my set so the first 3 picks in the '91 Draft for the Tigers now have a card in the '92 set. 

Tarrik never made it to the Bigs with the Tigers, but did make it to AAA with them. I actually saw Brock play in the Minors in 1996 while I was living in Lakeland, Florida and he was playing in low-A ball with the Lakeland Tigers. I probably went to 5 games that year and got his autograph on a pennant, which is hanging up in my man-cave. After the '96 season, Tarrik was selected in the Rule-5 Draft by the Mariners. He stayed with them until 1999, when he signed with the Rockies before the season started. In July that year, he was traded to the Cubs, and then in 2000, he reached the Majors, playing in 13 games with them, getting 2 hits and stealing 1 base. He spent 2001 with Elmira in the Independant League, and spent 2002-2003 in the Dodgers system before retiring. After his playing career, he started coaching in 2006 with Ogden. Then from 2007 to 2013, he was the Marlins outfield and baserunning coordinator. He was their interim 1st Base Coach in 2010. In 2014, he was back in the Majors again, this time as the Astros 1st Base Coach. 2015 was spent as a Padres Minor League Coordinator, and this year, he is the Padres 1st Base Coach. 

Brock's only major-issue cards include a '92 Bowman, '92 Stadium Club Dome, 2000 Fleer Mistique and 2000 Fleer Tradition Update card. He also has a '92 Upper Deck Minor League card.

I consider Tarrik part of my Favorite player collection, but only have 1 of his cards, a 1991 Classic/Best Minor League card. One of these days, I'll try to print out this card and make it card #2 in my Brock collection. I will also probably make his 2001 Topps card, finishing up Tarrik's career Topps run (although I may try to add him to a few prospect cards in the '93-'97 sets). 

Thanks for checking out the latest card in my set.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment