Tuesday, April 19, 2016

1992 Topps Dave Clark


Dave Clark was primarily a pinch hitter and reserve outfielder from 1986-1998. He appeared on Topps cards from 1988-1991, and then again in 1994 (Traded) and 1995. He missed out on a good number of cards due to his role as a reserve, but he probably could've made an argument to get in the 1987 set after his rookie season. He also could've perhaps been placed in the '93 Traded set as well. Topps made Traded sets during the last 2 years he appeared on cards, but stopped after 1995, then didn't start again until 1999 after he retired. Perhaps I will try to make Dave's 1993 and 1996-1999 cards in the future, and maybe some coach cards if I can find photos. Dave coached for a while in the Astros (even managing them in late 2009), and is currently a coach for the Tigers.

Clark didn't get into many games in 1991 (only 11), so it's easy to see why he didn't get a '92 Topps card. He somehow managed to get into the '92 Score set, and he may have the record for fewest '92 cards from other brands out of guys in my set. I couldn't even find another good photo of him as a Royal, so I had to use the one on his Score card.

A few cards in the 1992 Topps set have players or bats or balls covering up part of the Topps logo (I believe Nolan Ryan and Bill Gullickson were some), so I did that with Clark's bat on this card just to pay homage to a small detail in the set that only a true '92 Topps fan would pick up on.

I'm off later today, so I should have the chance to work on backs. Currently, I'm done with the Royals coaches, so that puts me around card 1175 I believe. I counted and including some backs to cards I've done later in the set, I only have 152 more to go to complete the set. I should be able to knock that number lower in the coming days. The end is so close I can smell it.
Thanks for checking out my latest card.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment