Monday, January 11, 2016

1992 Topps Jim Corsi


Jim Corsi played 10 seasons in MLB, mostly for the Oakland Athletics. He came up with them in 1988, and was on their World Series winning club in 1989. After not appearing in the Bigs in '90, he was a Houston Astro for '91, back with the A's in '92, then selected by the Florida Marlins in the Expansion Draft in November of that year. He pitched with Florida in '93, missed '94, and was back with the A's for the 3rd time for 1995 and 1996. He pitched with the Boston Red Sox from '97-'99 and finished out his career with the Baltimore Orioles in '99. 

Jim appeared on a Topps card in '89 and '90, missed the next 2 years, appeared as a Marlin in '93, and didn't get another Topps card for the rest of his career. If I can find some decent photos, he might be a subject for a Missing Topps Cards project on my other blog. 

Jim pitched for Saint Leo University in St. Leo, Florida before he made the bigs. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in the 3rd grade. In '98 and '99, I went to a summer camp for teenagers with Type 1 diabetes. During the week we spent there, we went to various locations and participated in different sports. While there, we played basketball at St. Leo University, so it's kind of cool to find a Big Leaguer who played at a small Florida school that I shot hoops at once or twice. Maybe one day, I'll do a post about the whole week at camp if I can find some of the old photos I took.

Thanks for checking out the latest card in my '92 Topps project.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment